The City of Humboldt has adopted a rate structure designed to reflect the actual cost of delivering water and sewer service to residential and commercial users.
The rate structure sets a base rate for all users and individual users also pay a consumption charge for each litre of water used. By creating a direct relationship between consumption and cost it is hoped that users will be diligent in their manner of water use.
The rates are set to provide enough revenue to adequately address future capital upgrades. These ongoing upgrades will ensure safety and limit water loss throughout the distribution system.
The City of Humboldt recognizes the importance of water management to the future of our community and our residents.
The City of Humboldt currently offers a cash rebate to encourage backyard composting.
Residents of the City are encouraged to compost kitchen and yard waste. Upon proof of a receipt from the purchase of a composter at a local Humboldt business, individuals will be reimbursed to a maximum of $30.
Please bring in the receipt for the composter and fill out a coupon at City Hall to receive the rebate.
Solid Waste Management
Waste management for the City of Humboldt is the responsibility of the Regional Authority of Carlton Trail (REACT).
Chosen as a pilot project, REACT came into operation in 1997. With the participation of 30 urban and 16 rural municipalities in the area, REACT waste management in the Humboldt area is truly a regional development with the following accomplishments:
- REACT operations consist of two provincially-regulated sanitary landfills and 17 transfer stations
- Recycling centers have been set up in three communities in the Humboldt region
- The guiding principle of REACT is to divert as much waste from disposal in the landfills
- REACT has one of the most comprehensive recycling programs in western Canada
- Recycling opportunities for commercial and residential stakeholders allows REACT to achieve a 55 per cent waste reduction (200 tonnes of recyclable material per month are processed and diverted away from the landfill)
- REACT has been used as a model for regional waste management throughout the province of Saskatchewan
Good For Humboldt, Good For Our Environment